Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ole!

We eat lots of refried beans. I buy a huge can from Costco, and it lasts us for a month. My kids love them, so I make bean burritos for them. My husband and I enjoy bean dip (with all the toppings--cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, olives).

The only thing that bothers me about store-bought refried beans: the amount of preservatives that I know are in them! And since I am on a DIY, non-preservative kick, this thought does not appeal to me at all.

I planned on looking for a good homemade refried bean recipe, and I stumbled across this one tonight. It looks delicious! I am going to be trying it soon.....I will let you know how it turns out.

Do you make refried beans at home? If so, share your recipe and tips!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I made beans for burritos the other night just by putting in my emulsion blender until they were pretty smooth. That recipe you linked to sounds super good, but I will tell you this was SO FAST!! (once you soak the beans, I guess. . . or just use a can of pinto beans) It was a 15 minute meal tops. . . and the pureed beans were a much nicer consistency than the canned refried beans -- softer. Probably due to the lack of FAT and preservatives! Susie ate leftovers of the beans the next day, she totally loved it!

    Do you have a good way to make spanish rice? I'm getting sick of the packaged kind, but Josh likes it to be really spicy.

    ReplyDelete