Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Yeast is our friend

Now that I have discovered that yeast is my friend and I need not be frightened of it, the whole world has opened up to me! I am exploring new horizons, that I have never ventured toward before, such as...

...BREADSTICKS.

That's right. I had never made them, for fear of THE YEAST. Oh the joys that I have missed over the years, all because of that fear.....

We were having Italian vegetable soup (my creation) and I needed some hearty bread to go along with it. But alas, the weather was bad on Monday night and my husband was already late for dinner as it was, so going to the store was out of the question. I had to face my fear and make my own bread. Aaaaahhhhh!
Fortunately, I own quite a collection of Quick Cooking cookbooks (now known as Simple and Delicious) and the recipes are made for kitchen dunces just like myself. These cookbooks have rescued me from many a tight spot. I also get the magazine and weekly emails....if you don't receive either of these, YOU SHOULD. ;-)

Anyway, here is the recipe.....they were so easy to make and so delish! I even made some of the dough into little rolls, which were good also.


Soft Italian Breadsticks
*Note: This recipe was originally to be made in a bread machine. I changed it a bit to work without one.*

1 cup water (70-80 degrees)
3 T. butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 t. salt
3 cups bread flour
2 T. sugar
1 t. Italian seasoning
1 t. garlic powder
2 1/4 t. active dry yeast

Soften yeast in warm water for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine butter, salt, flour, sugar, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Mix together. Add yeast mixture--combine thoroughly. (May need to add a few tablespoons of water or flour)

Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Cut each portion into 12 pieces; roll each into a 4 in-6 in rope. Place 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately brush with butter (2T., melted). Serve warm.
Yield: 2 dozen

(Quick Cooking--Annual Recipes 2001)

No comments:

Post a Comment