Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Cranberry Recipes-Part 2

I discovered a new cranberry recipe last month.....from Martha Stewart Living of all places!

Typically I cannot concoct any of her recipes, because they include ingredients that (for some reason) I just don't have on hand.

Goat cheese. Tarragon. Italian basil. Cooking sherry. Prosciutto.

Call me crazy, but I usually do not pick those items up at the local market
on my weekly shopping trips. :-)

But this recipe was SIMPLE, delicious, and included ingredients I had sitting around the house. (Martha has come down to the common folk at last.....)

I made it for a friends' brunch, then for my family, and again over Christmas for my parents and my sister's family. Everyone loved it each time.

Enjoy making some and impressing your closest critics!


Apple-Cranberry Crumble

4 apples, peeled and cored
1 cup fresh or frozen (unthawed) cranberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 t. ground cinnamon
Coarse salt
8 T. (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup pecan halves, coarsely chopped (I left these out)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
6 T. packed light-brown sugar

1. Preheat oven to 425. Quarter apples lengthwise, then thinly slice. Toss in a large bowl with cranberries, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt until evenly coated.

2. Butter a 9x13 glass or ceramic baking dish. Mix pecans, flour, oats, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt in a bowl until combined. Work in butter with your fingertips until topping is crumbly, with pea-size chunks.

3. Spread apple mixture in prepared dish; sprinkle with topping. Bake until filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.

Serves 8

(Martha Stewart Living, October 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment