Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bargain Meal of the Week: Thanksgiving Edition 2009


Because we will be "on the road" next week, when I would normally be posting, this is my Thanksgiving post. I could honestly do "Thanksgiving posts" every week, if I felt comfortable with it.....I adore Thanksgiving food so much. :-)

Because, really, why is that Thanksgiving is the only holiday where we pull out all the stops, as it were, for the menu?

Christmas--yeah, you break out the cookies, fruitcake, and the fancy ham. Big deal.
Easter--ham and the deviled eggs. Woo.

But THANKSGIVING.....it is a whole new ballgame when it comes to the meal. I think it is the only time in my life that I actually feel overwhelmed by food.
(That really DOES NOT happen with me....it is monumental.)

So, in order to prepare yourself for the celebration of bounty, enjoy this week's recipes! (And try not to gorge yourself next week, like I am fully aware that I will be doing.......)


Recipe #1: "Use Up the Thanksgiving Turkey Casserole"
and Steamed Green Beans

Butterball Turkey--$0.99/lb (need 2 cups)
or
Kroger Boneless Chicken Breasts--$2.49/lb.
Kroger Frozen Vegetables--$0.88 (need 2 pkgs.)
Campbells's Cream of Mushroom Soup--4/$3 (use 1 can)
Kroger Chicken Broth--2/$1 (just use a little for moisture)
Kroger Cheese--2/$3 (sprinkle 1/2 cup or so on top)

Fresh Green Beans--10lbs./$10 (cook 1 lb.)

Est. Cost: $5.15


Recipe #2: "Wow the Thanksgiving Guests" Sidedish
(I calculated this recipe to serve 6.)

Fresh Asparagus--$1.77/lb. (use 30 spears approx. 1 1/2 lbs.)
Bar S Sliced Bacon--2/$5 (need 15 strips, or 1 pkg.)

Est. Cost: $5.15

No comments:

Post a Comment